How to Apply
Applicants are also welcome to download and read this bi-lingual introduction to the Program: Lingnan WT Chan Fellowships Program Bi-lingual Introduction | 岭南陈氏学者奖学金项目简介
Please note: for the 2021 Lingnan W.T. Chan Fellowship Program, internships, seminars, and cultural exchanges will all be conducted remotely. This is a departure from the usual Program delivery mechanism, due to the continued difficulties in international exchange and travel caused by the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic. Please see details below on how to apply for this year's unique program. We anticipate a return to the traditional in-person Program delivery in the United States beginning in 2022.
All applicants must be currently enrolled as full-time students at Lingnan University or Sun Yat-sen University at the time of application. Application is open to Lingnan University undergraduate and graduate students; application is only open to Sun Yat-sen University graduate students, or undergraduate students who have been admitted to graduate programs beginning Fall 2021.
- Friday, February 5, 2021 at 11:59pm Beijing/Hong Kong Time - Deadline to apply.
NOTE: Applicants are encouraged to submit 48 hours before the deadline in case they encounter submission issues that need to be resolved.
- Applicants who have been selected to be interviewed will be notified by February 12, 2021.
- Online interviews will take place on February 27-28, 2021 via Zoom. Applicants must hold these dates and be available in case they are invited to be interviewed. Rescheduling interviews is not possible.
- For selected Fellows, there will be an orientation program held in June 5-7 OR June 12-14, 2020 - that selected Fellows are REQUIRED to attend.
- For selected Fellows, there will be an online orientation program held in Spring 2021.
- The internship component of the Fellowships will take place during Summer 2021.
- The Service Project component of the Fellowships will take place during Fall 2021.
- The UC Berkeley and USC seminars, campus exchanges, and other components will take place concurrently with the internships and Service Project in Summer and Fall 2021.
Step 1: Fill out the online application.
Step 2: Upload the completed and signed Application Form and Essay Questions in your online application (must be in PDF format):
Step 3: Upload other required documents (All documents must be in PDF format. Photo must be in JPG format. Documents submitted in any formats other than what is specified will not be accepted):
One letter of recommendation from a person able to offer insight into the character, ability, and motivation of the applicant (OPTIONAL).
The letter should be from someone, other than a relative or friend, who knows the applicant well and can comment on her/his interest in community issues, involvement in community service activities, and personal character (work supervisor, work colleague, internship coordinator, teacher, etc.). The letter should be in English, although a letter in Chinese will be accepted if an English reference is difficult to obtain.
The recommendation letter needs to be signed by the person who recommended you. Please ask the Recommender to use this Recommendation Form. The Recommender Form/letter should be uploaded to the application website along with other material.
b. Official transcripts (with stamp)/reports of all coursework done at the college/university level.
c. One recent passport-sized photo in color. The photo must be at least 3 (w) x 5 (h) cm, and clearly show your face.
d. Photocopies of award certificates and other supplementary documents are not required for the initial application. However, candidates selected for further interview should be prepared to submit these documents upon request for the program organizer's verification.
e. SYSU applications are required to submit the SYSU Graduate Student Form directly to the SYSU Graduate School. Please download the form here: GraduateSYSU中山大学研究生国际交流申请表 For any questions on this Form, please contact the SYSU Graduate School: email@example.com
If you having trouble accessing the online application, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.