How to Apply
Applicants are also welcome to download and read this bi-lingual introduction to the Program: Lingnan WT Chan Fellowships Program Bi-lingual Introduction | 岭南陈氏学者奖学金项目简介
Please note: After two years of virtual program delivery, Lingnan Foundation, UC Berkeley, and USC are planning for a return to an in-person Chan Fellowships Program in 2022. Please see details below on how to apply.
All applicants must be currently enrolled as full-time students at Lingnan University or Sun Yat-sen University at the time of application. Application is open to Lingnan University undergraduate and graduate students; application is only open to Sun Yat-sen University graduate students, or graduating undergraduate students who have been admitted to graduate programs. To be eligible for the Program, all students must maintain their student status for the Spring 2023 semester. This means that you cannot graduate and then participate in the Program, you must return to your home university after the conclusion of the Program and have at least one semester left of student status on your academic course.
Please attend our Information Seminars on Zoom to learn more about the Fellowships and to ask questions! Five Information Seminars will be held on Zoom throughout the Fall (China Times):
- Information Seminar 1: Sunday October 24th 10:00am
- Information Seminar 2: Thursday November 4th 8:30pm
- Information Seminar 3: Wednesday November 17th 8:30pm
- Information Seminar 4: Sunday December 5th 10:00am
- Information Seminar 5: Sunday December 11th 10:00am
Information Seminar Zoom link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82786811359
- Tuesday, December 14, 2021 at 11:59pm Beijing/Hong Kong Time - Deadline to apply.
NOTE: Applicants are encouraged to submit 48 hours before the deadline in case they encounter submission issues that need to be resolved.
- Applicants who have been selected to be interviewed will be notified by January 7, 2022.
- Online interviews will take place on January 15-16, 2022 via Zoom. Applicants must hold these dates and be available in case they are invited to be interviewed. Rescheduling interviews is not possible.
- For selected Fellows, there will be an orientation program held in June 2022 that selected Fellows are REQUIRED to attend. Details on the orientation will be provided at a later time.
- The Fellowships begin in early August 2022 and conclude in late December 2022.
Step 1: Fill out the online application.
Step 2: Upload the completed and signed Application Form and Essay Questions in your online application (must be in PDF format):
Step 3: Upload other required documents (All documents must be in PDF format. Photo must be in JPG format. Documents submitted in any formats other than what is specified will not be accepted):
a. One letter of recommendation from a person able to offer insight into the character, ability, and motivation of the applicant.
The letter should be from someone, other than a relative or friend, who knows the applicant well and can comment on her/his interest in community issues, involvement in community service activities, and personal character (work supervisor, work colleague, internship coordinator, teacher, etc.). The letter should be in English, although a letter in Chinese will be accepted if an English reference is difficult to obtain.
The recommendation letter needs to be signed by the person who recommended you. Please ask the Recommender to use this 2022WTChanRecommendationForm. The Recommender Form/letter should be uploaded to the application website along with other material.
b. Official transcripts (with stamp)/reports of all coursework done at the college/university level.
c. One recent passport-sized photo in color. The photo must be at least 3 (w) x 5 (h) cm, and clearly show your face.
d. Photocopies of award certificates and other supplementary documents are not required for the initial application. However, candidates selected for further interview should be prepared to submit these documents upon request for the program organizer's verification.
e. SYSU applications are required to submit the SYSU Graduate Student Form directly to the SYSU Graduate School. Please download the form here: GraduateSYSU中山大学研究生国际交流申请表 For any questions on this Form, please contact the SYSU Graduate School: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you having trouble accessing the online application, please contact email@example.com.