How to Apply
All applicants must be currently enrolled as full-time students at Lingnan University or Sun Yat-sen University during the academic year for which they are applying.
Final year undergraduate and postgraduate students should provide proof of acceptance to graduate program for next academic year on or before May of the year.
Lingnan University, Hong Kong (LUHK)
All second-year or third-year undergraduate and postgraduate students from all majors are eligible to apply.
Sun Yat-sen University (SYSU)
All postgraduate students (excluding international students and students from Hong Kong or Macau) from all majors are eligible to apply.
Interested students must get approval from their faculties and submit the related application form. See detailed information below.
- DECEMBER 16, 2018 - Deadline for both LUHK & SYSU students to submit online application. (LUHK students must submit all documents on this date.)
- JANUARY 4, 2019 - Deadline for SYSU Students to submit recommendation letter, SYSU Graduate School Approval Form, and transcript to the LINGNAN FOUNDATION. (Special allowance for SYSU students only)
Due to special circumstances, if needed, SYSU students are allowed to have more time to gather and submit the following required documents: letter of recommendation, Graduate School Approval Form, and/or Grade Transcript. SYSU students should submit these documents no later than Friday January 4, 2019 at 11pm China time.
- If submitting these documents between December 17 to January 4, then email them to Rona Henry, Director of Grants, Programs and Operations at the Lingnan Foundation at firstname.lastname@example.org. All documents should be submitted in one email – with an email message that includes your full name and the list of documents you are submitting.
- IMPORTANT NOTE: When applying online to the Fellowship by the December 16 deadline, if you do not have the letter of recommendation, Graduate School Approval Form, and/or Grade Transcript, for each of these documents you may instead upload a “placeholder” document that states your full name and the name of document(s) that you will be submitting by January 4, 2019. This will satisfy the online application system’s requirement to upload a document, while communicating to us your plans to submit the document(s) by January 4.
- NOTE: Applicants are encouraged to submit 48 hours before the deadline in case they encounter submission issues that need to be resolved.
- In-Person Interviews of Selected Applicants: January 12-13, 2019
- Selected Applicants Notified: Early February 2019
- Orientation Program for 2019 Fellows: June 21-23, 2019
Step 1: Fill out the online application.
Step 2: Upload the completed and signed Application Form and Essay Questions in your online application (must be in PDF format). WTChan2019AppFormEssay
Step 3: Upload other required documents (All documents must be in PDF format. Photo must be in JPG format. Documents submitted in any formats other than what is specified will not be accepted):
a. One letter of recommendation from a person able to offer insight into the character, ability, and motivation of the applicant.
The letter should be from someone, other than a relative or friend, who knows the applicant well and can comment on her/his interest in community issues, involvement in community service activities, and personal character (work supervisor, work colleague, internship coordinator, teacher, etc.). The letter should be in English, although a letter in Chinese will be accepted if an English reference is difficult to obtain.
The recommendation letter needs to be signed by the person who recommended you. Please ask the Recommender to use this Recommendation Form. The Recommender Form/letter should be uploaded to the application website along with other material.
b. Official transcripts (with stamp)/reports of all coursework done at the college/university level.
c. One recent passport-sized photo in color. The photo must be at least 3 (w) x 5 (h) cm, and clearly show your face.
d. Photocopies of award certificates and other supplementary documents are not required for the initial application. However, candidates selected for further interview should be prepared to submit these documents upon request for the program organizer's verification.
Step 4: (This step only applies to SYSU students) Applicants must get approval from their faculties and submit the related application form.
SYSU Students: For more information about your application requirements, see:
SYSU Slides - 2019 Lingnan WT Chan Fellowship
Applicants are encouraged to use the online application form. If you having trouble accessing the online application, please contact email@example.com. If your access issue can not be resolved, please complete and submit the following forms and documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2019WTChanApplicantINFOForm (must save as PDF)
- WTChan2019AppFormEssay (must save as PDF)
- Transcripts/reports of all coursework done at the college/university level. (must save as PDF)
- One passport-sized photo in color. The photo must be at least 3 (w) x 5 (h) cm, and clearly show your face. (must be saved as JPG)
- SYSU Faculty Approval Form (must be saved as PDF)
- Recommendation letter signed by your recommender (must be saved as PDF)
EXTENDED Application Deadline: December 16, 2018, by 11pm China/Hong Kong time. NOTE: Applicants are encouraged to submit 48 hours before the deadline in case they encounter submission issues that need to be resolved.